Stormwater Permit Process

Construction Stormwater Management Plans (CSWMPs) and Stormwater Construction Permit (SCPs) for construction and development projects have been required in the urbanized area of Mesa County (which includes Grand Junction and Palisade) since 2006. In the past, these permits were obtained from the local jurisdiction after completion of the development review and approval process. Beginning January 1, 2009, the City of Grand Junction, Mesa County, and the Town of Palisade transferred the responsibility to review the CSWMPs and issue the SCPs to the 5-2-1 Drainage Authority. Please note that the local permit through the Authority replaces the City, County, or Town Permit, but does not replace the Permit required by the State. You need both. Also, please note that there is no local permit in Fruita at the present time, only the State permit. Authority forms and guidance can be found on the website. CSWMP submittals are part of the overall development review package and should still go through the planning department of the local jurisdiction. Use the 5-2-1 Drainage Authority Stormwater Permit form, write the review fee check to the “5-2-1 Drainage Authority” and include both with the development review package submitted to the local Planning Department. They will forward it on to us. When all approvals have been obtained on the development proposal, you may submit the SCP form and permit/inspection fee directly to the Authority. If you have any questions please call us at (970) 263-7401.